Salaries

RandomJabroni

Salaries

Post by RandomJabroni » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:35 am

There have been recent discussions on Twitter about the state of NCAA S&C salaries.

- At the top there are a handful of Power 5 football S&C pulling in over 500k a year.
- In the “middle” there are Power 5 Basketball, Power 5 Director of Olympics, Group of 5 football S&C, and some Power 5 football assistants making over 100k.
- At the “bottom” you have everything from NAIA-FCS Head S&C, Power 5 & Group of 5 football assistants, and Olympic Sport S&C with Masters Degrees and multiple years of job experience making less than 50k a year.

From my experience, there is substantial room for career & salary advancement. As I think about who I would consider the top 25 S&C coaches in the college and pro sector, they are all compensated really well, or they are making progress on the journey of their career advancement and making progress on their job titles and salaries.

I’ve changed jobs 6 times at 4 schools, either taking promotions where I was or moving to new gigs at new schools. Coaching is a nomadic lifestyle, but it is part of what we signed up for. If you check the right boxes (Get results, have some personality and charisma, and are trusted by the right people) there will ultimately be new opportunities available.

Bob Alejo has had some interesting thoughts on the future evolution of administrative positions for S&C coaches. As it sits now though, the highest salaries go to S&C coaches tied to sport coaches. This is because you can now dip into the salary pool of the sport and don’t have any imaginary barriers tied to administrators (oly directors not making more than the SWA, or assistant S&C making more than assistant sport coaches).

I’m curious what others think? Are salaries headed the right way? What is a fair salary, especially in a non revenue generating capacity?

JustAGuy

Re: Salaries

Post by JustAGuy » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:23 pm

I feel that salaries are headed in the right direction. With that being said they are still truly lacking when you begin looking at the amount of education/experience that is being required. Some one with a Master’s Degree and a minimum of 2-3 years experience should not be relegated to 30-35k a year. I think there should be some industry standards that should at least be looked st.

Diamond_Cutter

Post by Diamond_Cutter » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:02 pm

The top positions in the field are definitely moving in the right direction. I also don’t have a huge issue with the full-time positions in the 30-40k range. In reality, these positions should be viewed as entry-level positions, often by individuals in their mid-to-late 20’s. How many football or Olympic sport coaches in that age range are making more money than that? Probably not many. It’s typical of the coaching profession. If you want to make 60k plus in your 20’s, you probably should pick another profession. That’s just my opinion. The problem is, there’s too many overqualified coaches who’ve been in the profession awhile, who’re having to take these entry level positions. That’s where a lot of the problems lie.

I think the area between the bottom and top earners in the profession is where we need to strive to make progress, and where it’s lagging behind. I’m talking Olympic Director positions, power 5 football assistant positions, and Olympic strength coaches who’ve got 5+ years of full-time experience. These are the positions that make up a majority of the college positions.

RandomJabroni

Post by RandomJabroni » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:23 am

Diamond_Cutter wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:02 pm
I think the area between the bottom and top earners in the profession is where we need to strive to make progress, and where it’s lagging behind. I’m talking Olympic Director positions, power 5 football assistant positions, and Olympic strength coaches who’ve got 5+ years of full-time experience. These are the positions that make up a majority of the college positions.
I agree, but I think this will take care of itself over time though. Salaries have continued to rise across all positions and I don’t think it will stop anytime soon.

The easiest way to get a raise where you’re at is to have leverage from another job offer. I think too many S&C coaches are afraid to dive head first into an active job search for some reason. I understand if you’re happy and don’t want to leave, but it is a horrible business decision to not be open to other opportunities.

Austin316

Post by Austin316 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:08 pm

I’ve had an unorthodox intro to strength and conditioning, personally I believe the interview processes need to be more in depth. Being at all different levels from private to high school to college, the pay scale from top to bottom is over done. There are plenty of individuals that are getting paid based on their “name” and are behind in some aspects and there are individuals that do a phenomenal job but their network isn’t as strong as “the higher ups” I also believe we put too much stock “the jersey” for what places are good as oppose to the actual experience. I don’t believe there should be full time positions for less than 47,500 which is now the government standard for people who are not allowed OT. That’s what it is for ATs their governing body pushed for those, I believe as an organization we don’t take enough care of our own and are more focused on bashing someone for why they do, how they do, and what they get paid X-amount instead of themselves. I believe a lot of our problems become fixed with proper representation. And setting egos aside for why we truly chose this profession, make an impact in young men and women’s lives and to show them their limits are higher than they believe. But idk how to have that develop so I guess my rambling comes with no solution. 😔

iron+eats

Post by iron+eats » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:01 pm

In my opinion, salaries as a whole are moving in the right direction especially at the top end and the schools who have the funds. This is also to say, those are the schools who prioritize Strength and Conditioning higher than those who do not pay. Much of it has to do with budget as well, especially at smaller (FCS/Mid Major D-1, DII, DIII, NAIA) that have limited budgets. In my experience, those schools operate on lower budgets and have to decide between fully staffing their teams, proper compensation of support staff (S&C, ATC) and quality meals for these teams.

Overall I believe the greatest gap is between the Power 5 football staffs/ Director of Oly and Oly Assistants/smaller school staffs. There are some great Head S&C at all levels that have earned a greated pay scale. I believe assistants in their mid to late 20s making 30-40k is on par as a great entry level.

Rgoochey01

Post by Rgoochey01 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:52 am

From personal experience and have spoken to fellows in the field, I have not witness an up turn in salaries. I have witness an up surd amounts being offered. I personally was reached out by a School literally offering me 8k a year with possible double to 16k to work FULLTIME as their head football strength coach.

Literally a month later, the school I previously worked for in my grad school contacts me from their new head coach to also offer 8k to be their head strength coach for football and RBs coach (zero experience as a running back or running back coach). My first Head job offer was a 25k job to coach 21 sports without qualified assistance, and teach a full course load to make the position a 50/50 position.

Let alone salary, the value of strength coaches are not there or treated well in the admin side. Another experience, I was in the final running at a local D1 school to be their head Oly strength coach, to find out on Twitter before my final interview they hired a man with zero collegiate coaching experience or qualifications. He was a guy that owned a local gym next to the university. Beside the fact, if I lost on the position they didn’t even notify me until this day (4 months now). The interview process has to go both ways, is what my experience has taught me. Know who you are potentially going to work for and what they value, or low ball city will be in your future, or worse, quick termination.

Currently I am in the talks with another local NAIA school in the area starting their football team and hopefully these experiences help raise some eye brows.

RandomJabroni

12,000 full time position

Post by RandomJabroni » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:23 pm

There is a lot of conversation about the posting for a full-time job with multiple sport responsibilities that pays $12,000 a year at Louisiana Monroe.

I offer a paid internship with the title of "assistant strength coach" to help build that position's resume. It pays roughly $13,000 a year with the same prerequisites as the Louisiana Monroe job. The goal is for the person to be with me 1 year, find them a full-time job, and then start the internship over with a new coach.

I wonder if the ULM job is set up similarly but listed as Full-Time in order to give that intern benefits. Either way, on the surface it isn't a good look. Curious to see what, if anything, happens with it.

John Weatherly

Post by John Weatherly » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:39 am

The NSCA has a job posted right now for a s&c working with basketball at a facility in the Chicago area. It asks for a BS, prefers MS, cert, experience. The salary range is 40-45K for the Chicago area. I know of a Fortune 500 company that pays entry level call center positions better than that. And no education is required. I really don't see how s&c will continue with a very bright future when this is the situation. There are very few good jobs or 'career opportunities.' People move all over the place and ones that do have good paying positions in pro or college sports are often tied to the sport coach so there is not a lot of stability there either.

RandomJabroni

Post by RandomJabroni » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:45 pm

John Weatherly wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:39 am
People move all over the place and ones that do have good paying positions in pro or college sports are often tied to the sport coach so there is not a lot of stability there either.
Getting attached to a good coach is the best way to make a good living in collegiate strength and conditioning. Getting attached to a good GM is the best way to make a good living at the pro level. None of us got into this to make millions, but the other side of the coin is whats happening in athletic training. Those positions are all tied to the athletic department and more secure than our positions, but there isn't a ton of room for upward mobility. The head ATC sticks around for 30 years making decent money, but not as much as the S&C. All the assistants make ok money, but they're all still living paycheck to paycheck like many assistant strength coaches.

But, at least on the strength side the head football jobs pay 6 figures at the FBS level. Many basketball jobs are paying really well, including the majority of the High Major jobs paying 6 figures. Baseball jobs are becoming much better. Olympic Directors can have great job security and make good money. Yes the job security is the same as the sport coaches, but the pay reflects that for many of us.