Death of Corrupt NSCA

John Weatherly

Death of Corrupt NSCA

Post by John Weatherly » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:39 am

https://www.crossfit.com/battles/public ... ompilation
Read Document 330 by E.H. Morreim JD, PhD. It tells about what Drs. Kraemer, Haff, Triplett et al. did.

RandomJabroni

Re: Death of Corrupt NSCA

Post by RandomJabroni » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:16 am

Please elaborate. Despite the ongoing battle between CrossFit and the NSCA, I don’t think the NSCA is going anywhere.

I think a marriage between the better aspects of the NSCA and CSCCA is what is needed. The CSCCA has a better certification process, the NSCA has better research, literature and infrastructure.

John, you’ve actively “crusaded” against the NSCA for quite a while. Will you please share your background with the organization and what your objective is with the information you put forward.

John Weatherly

Post by John Weatherly » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:11 pm

When I was young, I was gung ho NSCA. I was actually CSCS before the NSCA's founder Boyd Epley. I actually reviewed articles for SCJ many years ago. I am originally from a rural town in Nebraska. In the 90s I had to return due to family illness. Both of my parents were dying. This was a long ordeal. During that time frame, I applied for the position of 'Coordinator of Performance Education' at the U of Nebraska with Boyd. Boyd was on the task force for the NSCA's first Professional Standards & Guidelines document that clearly stated an individual should have a degree or degrees in a topic or topics comprising the Scientific Foundations domain of the CSCS or in a related area. I will never forget sitting in Boyd's office and him saying: "You think you've got it bad. Danny is going from several hundred thousand (from when he played in the NFL) to this. He has a home and a family here in Lincoln." Danny had no degree in anything remotely related to exercise and a history of steroid use (flunked test at NFL Combine). Too make a long story short, I complained and it was all covered up by the NSCA and UNL. Dr. Andy Fry, while on the NSCA BOD, told me something has to be done about this. That he would conduct an investigation and that I would get a copy of the results from the NSCA National Office. Andy and I had helped with a study together on elite junior WL at the USOTC in Colorado Springs. I trusted him. I believe Andy tried. Bottom line - nothing was done - I never received my copy Andy promised and was treated terrible by the NSCA (no answers, had NSCA President swear at me and hangup when I finally got him on the phone, etc). If I hadn't been in the situation with my parents dying and the aftermath of that I would have probably gotten a lawyer.

I have consulted with the exercise industry and currently my main occupation is working with a Fortune 500 company in the financial services area. I always wanted to be a S&C Coach though. I never wanted to be a professor or research scientist. I was a research assistant to Dr. Mike Stone (who I always thought a lot of and still do). The reason I got a MS in Exercise Science was to be a S&C Coach. In fact, that's why I ended up with Stone because at that time there were few professors that actually knew much about strength and conditioning from both a scientific and practical standpoint ( doubt if there are many now that do).

In 2015 CrossFit CEO Greg Glassman called me on the phone. We had a 45 minute or so conversation. He told me what the NSCA did. The courts have now proven the NSCA published a fabricated study. That's fact! They also withheld evidence. I ended up writing several articles for CrossFit's blog. You can Google 'John Weatherly Sport Science' and read one titled 'The Sport Science Myth.' Most of the people the NSCA has given their 'Sport Scientist of the Year Award' to do nothing on athletes at their own schools. Huge disconnect at universities. It's not a diverse group at all. Most all of them have either been former students or close colleagues with Dr. Kraemer. These researchers really do not care about strength and conditioning coaches or sports. They care about publishing papers. The NSCA's biggest sponsor is Pepsi which owns Gatorade. The NSCA rarely even posts ads for legitimate career opportunities for S&C Coaches. Most jobs are low pay, people move all over the place, have low job security. I don't see why an intelligent person would even want to go into the field. They should be studying the workplace for s&c coaches not doing research on recreational weight training. Who cares if the average Jane or Joe does 1 or 3 or 5 sets of resistance training in a workout? Most average people still do not even strength train. What are they studying stuff like that over and over and over for? Mainly to get publications. It doesn't help s&c coaches.

PeterTheWhabbit

Post by PeterTheWhabbit » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:38 pm

Thanks for sharing John.

In the next 5-10 years do you see a shift in acceptable certification for collegiate jobs? Does CSCS get phased out ? Does CSCCA become “gold standard” ? Do schools (from high school up to college) create stricter policy on certifications for strength coaches?

John Weatherly

Post by John Weatherly » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:37 pm

Look at sponsors for NSCA National Conference sessions. The only two I see are VersaPulley (I actually consulted with them from 03-05) and Hawkins Dynamics. The NSCA is dead. Not much hope unless others such as Vern Gambetta's (I helped Vern way back in 92 with Sox Spring Training) GAIN, ALTIS, Sparta etc get together and do something. The universities don't seem to care at all about coaches and athlete development. Coaches are teachers. Where are the courses for coaching education and practical experience? Universities isolate academic and athletic departments. They should be working together. What is current NSCA President Dr. Travis Triplett (somebody I've known a long time) doing with athletes and coaches in the athletic department at App St? Lol

Why aren't other schools going to a model similar to KU? And while KU is under the KU Health System for s&c (not the athletic department) it is my understanding sport coaches still control who they hire in s&c. Dr. Andy Fry told me (this has been several years ago) they never even asked for his input at all as far as hiring s&c coaches. Of course, that was before KU went just this year to KU Health overseeing s&c and not the athletic department.

There's no education and training specifically for teaching and training s&c coaches. Most professors don't know or care about it. All they care about is doing studies on rec populations and publishing their research. While I certainly had differences with Boyd, the NSCA was started by and for s&c coaches and lost its way many years ago. It was hijacked by academics that do not care about coaches and athletes. It became a personal trainers organization not s&c. A new organization must be created to teach s&c for coaches that caters to coaches. That is the only hope.